Ripples are getting BIGGER in 2018 - Race is On



One year ago, I woke up and posted this video: that I would run up a volcano every week to raise $100,000 for dementia: (love you, mom).  I had NO IDEA where that journey would take me or what I was getting myself into, but I knew as soon as I posted: forward was my only option. No matter how hard it would be... 



*Emotionally:* --
The runs forced me to relive my mother’s dementia—stripped from her were words, ability to read, write, talk, bath or dress herself, walk, and eventually to eat or swallow… – it broke me to relive it, I questioned why I was doing it…there is a lump in my throat even writing this….but remembering my mom’s loss of words  gave me strength to find mine and fight for what she couldn’t.  ~WE need to be the voices of our loved ones that can’t fight for themselves!~

*Physically* -- 
Blisters and muscle aches forced me to push my limits further than I ever have before, and now I’ve run two marathons and am training for my first ultra (46 miles). 
*Mentally* --
The things I didn't know...campaigning, hours of training, social media, making videos,  (You all had to teach me Instagram and how to use a GoPro -- I held and shot sideways for the first two runs...).  And that full time job thing kept taking up daylight... But in the end, I learned to embrace the true meaning of time management, **mental strength** and youtube tutorials. 

But most importantly: it brought me back to the present and to be grateful for every moment of every day.

Asking for help makes me incredibly uncomfortable…but in doing so, it brought me closer to friends and family, like my cousin Diane and Joe, as they now stand by their father’s side battling Alzheimer’s. 

I took this crazy goal on by myself ...but too quickly learned I was and AM NOT alone!
+36 people joined the climbs. 
+54 regular people contributed to successfully reaching the first milestone of $10,000 in just 6 months. 
+100s reached out with words of comfort, encouragement, shared the videos on social media…
+Dozens shared their own dementia journey’s with loved ones…
I learned so much about my own mental and physical strength, but more importantly, 


****how empowering love and support of a community really is****

And I’m going to take that love and support (and fear of failing you) and use it as my fuel to keep going. 

JOIN US:
At the end of October/Early November – I welcome you to join the For Their Thoughts Vesuvius Team for our organized climb (walk or run) up Mt Vesuvius -- either in person or remotely.   Tickets will be sold here: https://www.facebook.com/RunningforTheirThoughts/ 

"For Their Thoughts," thanks to your support and confidence, will become a formal Non-Profit for dementia by 2019– proceeds continuing to go to research for a cure plus help for current caregivers,

That $100,000 I proclaimed to achieve one year ago IS achievable and WILL happen.   For my mother’s thoughts. For my nieces and nephews thoughts.  For the millions and millions of our loved ones suffering and those that inevitably will if we don't do something.  FOR THEIR THOUGHTS.  FOR OUR THOUGHTS.  We will do this.  Thank you.    

______________________________________________________________________

***



No comments: